Château Aney was built in 1850 by the family that gave it its name, just five years before the wine classification system was initiated in Bordeaux. The domaine thrived and earned Cru Bourgeois status, but by the mid-twentieth century the land was no longer being farmed and the château had fallen into disrepair. In 1972 Jean Raimond and his son, Pierre, bought the property, rehabilitated the vineyards, and refurbished the winery and cellars. This marked a new era for Château Aney; which fittingly achieved Cru Bourgeois status for a second time in 1978. Today Pierre runs the estate along with his son, David, producing wines of class and elegance.
While the Raimond family certainly deserves credit for lovingly bringing the property back to its full glory, there is also something inherently special about this place. Situated in Cussac Fort Médoc, this left-bank château lies strategically between St-Julien and Margaux, at the epicenter of the great wines of the region where the terroir imparts exceptional quality and provides ideal growing conditions. The warm summer sun is tempered by the cool breezes of the Garonne, and round, polished, gravelly, river stones cover the vineyard. Throughout the day the sun warms these stones, which gradually redistribute the heat to the vines, protecting them against springtime frosts and helping the grapes along towards full maturation in the autumn. The final blend of the wine matches the proportions in which they are planted throughout the thirty hectares of vineyards: 65% Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Merlot, 7% Cabernet Franc, and 3% Petit Verdot. This traditional Haut Médoc is more like what you might remember of the classic Bordeaux styles of the 1960s and 1970s. Not at all cloaked in new wood or over-extracted tannins, Château Aney’s wines have finesse and balance that make them both approachable now and perfect for longer aging. They are a great choice for any cellar.
Château Aney's vineyards lie a few hundred yards northeast of Chateau Margaux. Bruce Neyers writes: "The property was classified as a Cru Bourgoise in 1865, and in the intervening century and a half they've continued to produce a classic styled 'Claret' with the charm and grace of a wine that sells for many times their price. The yields here are almost half of the allowable, the farming is organic and the attention to detail is striking." Located between Margaux and St Julien (the roof of Ch Margaux is visible from their cellar door!)