Domaine du Salvard


SAUVIGNON BLANC - Unique
Tech SheetPOS

CHEVERNY BLANC
Tech Sheet / POS

CHEVERNY ROUGE
Tech Sheet / POS


From only 10 hectares of vineyards in 1965, the domaine has grown to 35 hectares today.  90% of the vineyards are planted to Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnay while the remaining 10% are planted to the red varietals Pinot Noir and Gamay.  All vineyards are farmed sustainably. Vinification: White and Rosé wines: after a short maceration on the skins, the grapes are gently pressed.  The must is allowed to settle for 48 hours then racked and fermented in temperature-controlled vats.  The wine is kept on its fine lees at 12°C until bottling. Red Wines: The grapes undergo traditional “Beaujolais” maceration and fermentation temperatures are strictly controlled.

Domaine du Salvard has been a working domaine since 1898, through five hardworking generations of the Delaille family. Today, all forty-two hectares of vineyards are farmed by the capable brother team of Emmanuel and Thierry Delaille, with help from their father Gilbert. To our delight, they have carried on the traditions established by their ancestors, producing a true, classic Cheverny that is both simple and elegant. Unlike others in the appellation who still vinify the widely-planted and forgettable Romorantin varietal, the Delaille brothers have focused their attention on growing fresh, lively Sauvignon Blanc, deeply rooted in the sand, clay, and limestone plains of northeastern Touraine. Pinot Noir, Gamay, and Cot constitute their red grape holdings, creating youthful reds with great aromatics. Gilbert and his sons have also made their own contributions to the heritage of the domaine, including the introduction of sustainable farming practices into the vineyards, as well as temperature-controlled vinification equipment to the winery.

Until finally achieving A.O.C. status in 1993, Cheverny was widely regarded as one of the best V.D.Q.S. (Vin de Qualité Superieur) of the Loire. However, some argue that this A.O.C.-in-waiting designation was a political maneuver by the I.N.A.O. to keep Cheverny’s delicious, sprightly Sauvignon Blanc out of competition with the other more famous appellations of Sancerre and Pouilly-Fumé. Kermit was the first to discover the charm and value of Cheverny back in 1978 when he imported the Domaine Jean Gueritte. He took on the Cheverny of Domaine du Salvard in 1992, a year before the status change in the appellation. We continue to tout the domaine’s wine as one of the greatest values for Sauvignon Blanc perfection.