WINES FROM DOMAINE PAUL BARA
ABOUT DOMAINE PAUL BARABara’s 27 acres of vineyards are located exclusively on the soil of Bouzy (a renowned “Grand Cru” with a 100% rating), in the heart of the Vallée de la Marne. Sustainably farmed. They have 80% planted to Pinot Noir, the remaining 20% to Chardonnay.
The grapes are pressed on a traditional broad, vertical press where the “retrousse,” or the re-centering of the mass of grapes on the press, is done manually.
They use no second pressing in their Champagne. Small vats lined with glass, enamel, or sandstone are used for the winemaking, facilitating greater control of the process.
Aging is 4 years minimum for the vintage Champagnes, 2 years for the non-vintage.
About “Special Club”: The club was founded in 1971 by 12 old Champagne families to promote grower champagnes in the midst of the prestige cuvées of the large houses. The club now has 26 members, all champagne houses that own their own vines. The Spécial Club wines released by each house must use the same heavy bottle (old style Champagne bottle) and the exact same label (the only difference is the name of the house). The wines are only released in the best vintages, one cuvée per house, and it is supposed to represent their best fruit. The wine must pass three consecutive tastings, as still wine, just before bottling and after 3 years in bottle, in order to be approved to wear the Club label. The Club was called "Club des Viticulteurs Champenois" until 1999 when it became "Club Trésors de Champagne."
King of wines par excellence, it requires and deserves careful attention at every moment… Every step must be carried out with great respect. There is no room for approximation.
This culture and this love of the wine, and also of work well done, are the values that my father has passed on to me.
He helped me to understand everything that nature needs and that we must offer, and that nature will then repay us…
He also helped me to discover tastes, flavours and aromas… everything I rediscover when I carry out the blending of my champagnes…
I am proud of these values, and I am delighted to be able to share them with you, each time you drink a glass of Paul Bara Champagne…