STELLA DI CAMPALTO
BRUNELLO DI MONTALCINO
2008 - Tech Sheet / POS
The San Giuseppe Winery takes its name from the sharecropping estate established by Giuseppe Martelli in 1910. Abandoned in 1940, the estate was then acquired by our family in 1992. The Winery is located to the south of the town of Montalcino, just a stone's throw from Saint Antimo Abbey. This church - located in an isolated position surrounded by lush greenery - was first built in the Roman epoch, and it remains a stunning sight, a masterful exercise in simplicity and purity, its white alabaster diffusing the soft sunlight. Here at the Winery, we work hard to preserve the harmony of the natural environment - we feel fortunate to be guests in a generous land protected by Mount Amiata. We have every intention of continuing to be a small-scale producer with just a few plots - this way, we can walk around our vineyards personally and get to know them a little better every day. The company was founded by our family and has grown with it.
The estate extends across 13.45 hectares on what is an integral piece of land around the cellar complex - an area that is home to woodlands, olives groves (planted in 1920) and 5.5 hectares of vineyards. The vineyards are as follows:
- Vigna al Leccio south/west-facing, 340m above sea level, D.O.C.G Brunello di Montalcino appellation
- Vigna Curva south/west-facing, 320m above sea level, D.O.C.G. Brunello di Montalcino appellation
- Vigna al Sasso south/east-facing, 290m above sea level, D.O.C.G. Brunello di Montalcino appellation
- Vigna Bassa south-facing, 270m above sea level, D.O.C.G. Brunello di Montalcino appellation
- Vigna all'Ulivo west-facing, 280m above sea level, D.O.C.G. Brunello di Montalcino appellation (8000m2) and D.O.C. Rosso di Montalcino appellation (5000m2)
- Vigna al Bosco south-facing, 240m above sea level, D.O.C. Sant Antimo appellation
Each plot is a small cru with its own distinct character, and the wines are vinified separately in one or more wooden vate. A great deal of time and resources are dedicated to the maintenance of the ecosystem of the area around the vineyards and the company facility. We endeavor to cultivate grapes that are healthy, powerful, flavorsome and unique to each vintage. In this way, we can produce wines that are pure, unrepeatable expressions of their terroir of origin as it was in the year the grapes were grown. The company has been certified organic since 1996. Biodynamic methods have been used since 2002.